[olug] Need a speaker for June 4th.

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at gmail.com
Tue May 21 22:19:18 CDT 2024

Phil, this sounds like a great change of pace.  I will put you in for June
4rd.  The meeting starts at 6:30pm CDT.    We usually have the google meet
started about 10-15 minutes before the meeting starts.
Thank you for volunteering.   I hope I can join in from Arizona!   I'll
verify the link for Google Meet and send it to you this week.

Cheers!
Dave Thacker

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 4:39 PM Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com> wrote:

> Dave, I'm one of the out of town members of OLUG and am happy to give a
> Zoom talk about my free, paper-based math game, which I designed
> using LibreOffice Calc. I designed this game originally for middle school
> students, but I have since created versions for younger students. The game
> was designed to create fun conversations about numbers around the dining
> room table.
>
> People can learn more about the game and print out copies of the different
> versions at [ http://www.pairsmathgame.com/ | http://www.pairsmathgame.com
> ]
>
> In my talk, I can explain the methods I use to design my games. The talk
> will assume that people have a basic knowledge of spreadsheets and
> spreadsheet terminology. And, I'm happy to take any questions people might
> have about the game. Come to think of it, I'm happy to take
> questions about the game right here on the OLUG list, too.
>
> Maybe my talk might tempt some Omaha area teachers and librarians to check
> out their first Linux user group meeting.
>
> phil
>

> As it happens, I recently received a national award for my public library
> work -- and I think this math game might be one of the main reasons
> I received this award. [
> https://www.libraryjournal.com/story/Phil-Shapiro-movers-shakers-2024-educators
> |
> https://www.libraryjournal.com/story/Phil-Shapiro-movers-shakers-2024-educators
> ]