[olug] Need a speaker for June 4th.

Phil Shapiro pshapiro at his.com
Tue May 21 23:56:10 CDT 2024

Dave and others --

Here is a description of my upcoming June 4 Zoom presentation which you can circulate. If you put this presentation description on the OLUG web site, I can share the link with library staff in the Omaha Public Libraries. I have a hunch some of the library staff might want to attend - in person or virtually. Yes, my overall goal is to boost the use of open source within Omaha Public Libraries (and all other
public libraries.)

How to Design Your Own Fun Math Games using LibreOffice Calc

With a basic understanding of LibreOffice Calc, the free spreadsheet equivalent to Microsoft Excel, you can design
many kinds of math activities that can engage youth and adults in your area. Open source enthusiast Phil Shapiro will
show and explain the free, paper-based math game he designed originally for middle school students. Versions of the game for younger
students - as young as preschool, have since been designed. Learn more about this game at the game's web site at
[ http://www.pairsmathgame.com/ | http://www.pairsmathgame.com ] Last month, a middle school math teacher told Phil, "Your game reaches students I teach
that previously had very little interest in math. I have also adapted your game to make it more engaging to my students."

This game was originally designed for printing on tabloid size paper (11 inches by 17 inches), but it's possible to print it on
legal size paper (8.5 inches by 14 inches), as well as banner size (3 feet by 8 feet) and mini banner size. Vinyl banners and
mini banners of this game can be purchased from Zazzle.com The vinyl banners are nice for using at outdoor community
events because they are very durable and are unaffected by rain. The banner size versions are also free to print on paper and
can be printed using various HP DesignJet printers. Phil uses the HP DesignJet T210 to print banners at his home.

Learn more about Phil here.

[ https://opensource.com/users/pshapiro | https://opensource.com/users/pshapiro ]

and here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19G8jTK9IrmBxotZZWAYtizqZuFWnF1mY/view?usp=sharing